24 replies to this topic

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
Currently running Mrc stage2+ 451ps & 768nm, recently did 1/4 mile at Crail & the best I could manage was a 12.05, I feel the car struggles for front end grip off of the line.
Will upgrading the haldex controller help?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
What tyres you running?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Currently running Mrc stage2+ 451ps & 768nm, recently did 1/4 mile at Crail & the best I could manage was a 12.05, I feel the car struggles for front end grip off of the line.

How cold was it mate. ? 

The Haldex controller will just transfer the torque earlier to the rear than it does at the present.

It preempts the slip angle off the front wheels compared to the rears.

Dell.

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
Running mps4's, it was a little damp but I was expecting to at least break into 11's

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
Golf R's, S4's etc all seemed to launch not too bad but I seemed to suffer from slip. The haldex pump was recently changed as at failed not long ago.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Running mps4's, it was a little damp but I was expecting to at least break into 11's

Theres your answer mate it was damp !  :(

More can often be less you can't over come the laws of physics,Friction = Traction !  :P

Our cars are good but not that good !  :)

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 13 September 2017 - 08:08 PM.

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
Have you fitted the race controller?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Have you fitted the race controller?

No mate but going by my outing at Castle Combe with the ESP turned off i don't think i need to fit a Haldex unit  :D

As for those S3s & Golf Rs getting they power down,less is more in those conditions mate  :)

Dell.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

What RPM are you using to launch? I have similar power output with my 8V (also MRC) but 'only' 689nm torque compared to your 768nm. I had a dsg map that was a two stage launch, one at 4000rpm and also 5000rpm - although it sounded fantastic it was way too high and I would end up losing loads of traction off the line, the rear tyres were smoking (didn't believe it until my son showed me the vid of my run) and drivetrain components were getting a real hammering.

60ft times at these settings were poor (mid to high 1.8's) but after I had the launch rpm reduced to a max of just 3000rpm, the 60ft times dropped to low 1.7's (best 1.71). Getting the right tyre pressures also play a big part too, you can take a fair bit of pressure out of the front tyres to gain some extra grip.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

May be have another go on a dryer & warmer day at a track like Santa Pod instead off going down the road of sh#te loads of money on a Haldex software upgrade ? £££££££

Or look at it how I would mate that your RS isn't a 11sec car as mine not either ! 😕

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 19 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

May be have another go on a dryer & warmer day at a track like Santa Pod instead off going down the road of sh#te loads of money on a Haldex software upgrade ? £££££££

Or look at it how I would mate that your RS isn't a 11sec car as mine not either !

Dell.

11 second runs are possible in the 8P though Dell - check out the vid from SP.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

11 second runs are possible in the 8P though Dell - check out the vid from SP.

Yes but not on our stage of tune mate 😕 that RS probably has a tte fitted for that bhp ?

Your 8v have a better torque and power delivery which helps on the 1/4 mile 😊

Dell.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Yes but not on our stage of tune mate that RS probably has a tte fitted for that bhp ?

Your 8v have a better torque and power delivery which helps on the 1/4 mile

Dell.

Yes it is a TTE big turbo conversion - nicely set up and goes well!

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen

Or look at it how I would mate that your RS isn't a 11sec car as mine not either ! 😕

Dell.

I want to get I to the 11's...lol

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen

What RPM are you using to launch? I have similar power output with my 8V (also MRC) but 'only' 689nm torque compared to your 768nm. I had a dsg map that was a two stage launch, one at 4000rpm and also 5000rpm - although it sounded fantastic it was way too high and I would end up losing loads of traction off the line, the rear tyres were smoking (didn't believe it until my son showed me the vid of my run) and drivetrain components were getting a real hammering.

60ft times at these settings were poor (mid to high 1.8's) but after I had the launch rpm reduced to a max of just 3000rpm, the 60ft times dropped to low 1.7's (best 1.71). Getting the right tyre pressures also play a big part too, you can take a fair bit of pressure out of the front tyres to gain some extra grip.

Yeah it launches around 4500rpm, I could try to get mrc to adjust the dsg map, just means it's a long drive from Aberdeen.

Nath

Nath

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Interesting to hear from real world experience :)

I just had a DSG tune and they increased my LC from 3800 to 4300/4400 - hoping to hit the track in the next month and perhaps ill need them to readjust if i follow a similar outcome you received.. 

Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 3+ 
TomCat TC600 hybrid | E-Tuners Motorsport E85 ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | HG Motorsport Downpipe | Milltek Decats | HG Motorsport intake | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart Em Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Rays Forged ZE40's 1/4: 11.00 & 136MPH

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Interesting to hear from real world experience :)

I just had a DSG tune and they increased my LC from 3800 to 4300/4400 - hoping to hit the track in the next month and perhaps ill need them to readjust if i follow a similar outcome you received.. 

Well I have to confess that I was tipped off about reducing the launch rpm by another forum member (Caney) after he experienced a similar issue with the dsg map on his car. I have had various adjustments made to the dsg map on my car, I even had Doug try a limited boost in the first couple of gears and although this resulted in high 1.7's 60ft, it produced slightly lower terminal speeds. Eventually settled for the lower rpm launch which is less dramatic noise wise, but is getting 60ft times very close to the 1.6's.

Word of warning: The higher rpm launch allowed the car to spin the wheels which transfers all the forward energy to the tyres. If you suddenly start finding good levels of grip at such high rpm at launch, the energy will be transferred to your drivetrain components.

My car is the white one losing loads of time off the line with the REAR tyres smoking!

Attached File  wheelspin at SP.mov   3.32MB   61 downloads

Edited by Fivepotfan, 29 September 2017 - 08:06 AM.

Nath

Nath

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Wow, you really are shredding those rear tyres!! 

Sounds like ill need to make a revision! 

Are you saying its better to spin the tyres than put a strain on our driveline? 

Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 3+ 
TomCat TC600 hybrid | E-Tuners Motorsport E85 ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | HG Motorsport Downpipe | Milltek Decats | HG Motorsport intake | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart Em Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Rays Forged ZE40's 1/4: 11.00 & 136MPH

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Wow, you really are shredding those rear tyres!! 

Sounds like ill need to make a revision! 

Are you saying its better to spin the tyres than put a strain on our driveline? 

Spinning the tyres doesn't transfer as much stress to the drivetrain components......... but doesn't get you good 1/4 mile times either! :(

I have lost count of how many times I have had the dsg map tweaked/refined but for cars running more than stock power, the lower rpm launch gives a better time IMO.

Pil5burydoughboy

Pil5burydoughboy

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
I'll get booked into mrc when I'm home & get them to tweak the dsg map I think.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.