26 replies to this topic

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland

So, I bought some Revo RV019's recently in order to fit at least 255's on the front if I so choose (my car had the standard 235 all round).
However, I've since convinced myself that I could (just) fit 255's on the rear as well, which would afford more grip and the ability to rotate the tyres. I plan to put them on the rear first for a few days to check for any issues and then I'll put them to the front for now and run staggered until the rears are done, then I'll run 255's all round.

So two questions;

1 - Assuming this fits, is this a reasonable idea or is the extra grip negligible?
2 - I recall someone saying that there is a VCDS coding or something for the car to support staggered/even tyres - is this true? Or is there any other things I need to do except fit them?

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Afaik 255's won't fit on the back?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Some have noted staggered setups that dealers had accidentally put the wider tyres on the back which were then taken on test drives, with apparently no rubbing issues. I'm going to try it at least and see

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Right, so talked to an Audi master tech - no problems with the wheels, assuming they clear the arches in a fully loaded car round corners, then we're good. There's probably no benefit to it other than looks and grip on a launch, but that's OK with me.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

So, I bought some Revo RV019's recently in order to fit at least 255's on the front if I so choose (my car had the standard 235 all round).
However, I've since convinced myself that I could (just) fit 255's on the rear as well, which would afford more grip and the ability to rotate the tyres. I plan to put them on the rear first for a few days to check for any issues and then I'll put them to the front for now and run staggered until the rears are done, then I'll run 255's all round.

So two questions;

1 - Assuming this fits, is this a reasonable idea or is the extra grip negligible?
2 - I recall someone saying that there is a VCDS coding or something for the car to support staggered/even tyres - is this true? Or is there any other things I need to do except fit them?

Yep I also recall something about coding for the wider front tyres somewhere........ can't remember which thread though.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Yep I also recall something about coding for the wider front tyres somewhere........ can't remember which thread though.

It ended up going into an argument because said Member had been fed bull from a 'master tech'

No coding or anything needed.

I used to swap to 235 winter tyres from 255 regular fronts with zero issues.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Yeah, there's no issue, as long as rolling radius is close enough. So basically as long as you stick to one of the Oem sizes, you're fine

MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
The need for 'coded' wheel sizes doesn't affect haldex systems the same as quattro diffs. For example, fitting staggered wheels to an RS4 that is designed to have 4 matching wheels could potentially cause issues, similarly the R8 is definitely built for wider rear tyres so fitting 4x 9" tyres on one would be a bad idea. I'm not 100% sure how the problem would manifest, but the difference between a 235 and a 255 wouldn't likely be enough to cause damage or affect performance anyway.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Think back to the 90's Vauxhall Calibra / Camels ear 4X4 and its appetite for Viscous couplings.......Talk about being sensitive to tyre size / differences  :wacko:

bqik

bqik

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I have 8.5"  rotors front and rear with 255, no rub but I have installed Bilstein B16 which gives more space.

no need to code.

regards

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

255's now fitted, will see how they fare.

Couple of quick pictures here; http://imgur.com/a/Ec7tx

MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

255's now fitted, will see how they fare.

Couple of quick pictures here; http://imgur.com/a/Ec7tx

What size are those wheels (width and offset)? Looks like it's going to be pretty close.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
REVO Rv019 19x8.5 ET45

jimojameso

jimojameso

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
How you getting on with the 255s on the back? :)

2015 Nardo RS3

2010 Sepang TT RS Sold!

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Problem is you can't lower it too much or else you'll be hitting the wheel arch. If your standard suspension you may be alright

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
So I've been running it a week and gave it some tough times - unfortunately it can rub under the harshest compressions.
It's very slight, and rare, but it is happening.
I suspect you could get away with it if the alloys had a slightly higher offset (say Et50), but on 45 with these Michelins unfortunately it looks just slightly too close.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I'm not sure what exactly it's hitting, I suspect it could be the little plastic/rubber guard things on the wheel arch. I know my alignment is currently out at the moment as well, but I doubt it's huge, unlikely to make a huge difference

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I'm not sure what exactly it's hitting, I suspect it could be the little plastic/rubber guard things on the wheel arch. I know my alignment is currently out at the moment as well, but I doubt it's huge, unlikely to make a huge difference

100% the guards and also may skim the face of the tyre which happened on my 245s when I had them

bqik

bqik

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

100% the guards and also may skim the face of the tyre which happened on my 245s when I had them

with 255 on stock 8,5 rotors in the rear I have no rubber.

I have B16 Bilstein on nearly stock height.

regards

Ed_rx7

Ed_rx7

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

was there any conclusion to this debate then?.... seems to work for some and not for others

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.