MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
Has anyone tried the new S4 or S5?

Now looking/considering options as a replacement for the RS4 and I like the look particularly of the new S5.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Audi Addict

Audi Addict

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Hi Steve, Hope you are well i was meant to be test driving the new S5 but when i got to the forecourt i have to say the S4 is something else not quite as nice exhaust system as the RS4 but nice enough. Much better drive, in the case of the S5 I am not keen on the S5 5door. 

On a different note - Have you test driven the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid? I know not an Audi but they are impressive and fast too. Good luck with the search. 

Saving for an RS6😎

D19NL B

D19NL B

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
Balaal has the new s4

I just remembered that i'm absent minded, wait, i mean i lost my mind i can't find it.

81llyh

81llyh

Blue! 🔵

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Now looking/considering options as a replacement for the RS4 and I like the look particularly of the new S5.

I picked up my S4 Saloon the other day :) Red interior with carbon bits is awesome. It's not loud but more noise will come soon ;) I've unplugged the valves for time being.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
Garage View Garage

How you enjoying it?  Just been offered a blinding deal on a showroom well specced car and i'm tempted as it's a big money saver too.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMiddle England.

I just spent a week with the new S5. It is a lovely car and incredibly agile for its size. It did feel like a step down in performance from the RS3 and I also found it far too muted... theres no evocative soundtrack. 

If you want a comfy cruiser that'll let you have fun on a b road its a good choice.... but it won't put a grin on your face or make you feel like a hero when you park up.

Edited by coxeterj, 30 July 2017 - 04:18 PM.

Current cars: Audi RS3 8V and BMW M235i convertible.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Or have squeaakyyyyyyy brakes  ;) :P

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Or have squeaakyyyyyyy brakes  ;) :P

mine doesn't!

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Well, had an S4 for an hour today to ourselves no salesman present so got to choose where and how i went.

Great all rounder, quick, comfy, capable and sounds ok while looking discreet.... perhaps a little too for my taste. 

I was offered a ready specced showroom car at a steal however it missed a couple of essential (to me) options those being advanced key, carbon interior and sports diff/exhaust.

Would i order one to replace the RS4?

Over all it'll save me money per month, cheaper fuel, insurance and performance not much slower.

The answer however would have to be no,  why? well, when you are used to RS badged Audi's i feel this S model just missed the mark in making the journey that little bit special.  It's a VERY capable car just didn't give me the wow/grin factor I've felt when previously driven/ordered my RS models.

Dont get me wrong to directly compare some would say is silly as it's designed to bridge the gap between S-Line and RS which it of course does very well BUT didn't give me that little bit of childish excitement that would make me put pen to paper and sign off a factor order.

Great car, well built, goes well, handles very very well but just felt missing the extra excitement i look for.  

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Well, had an S4 for an hour today to ourselves no salesman present so got to choose where and how i went.

Great all rounder, quick, comfy, capable and sounds ok while looking discreet.... perhaps a little too for my taste.

I was offered a ready specced showroom car at a steal however it missed a couple of essential (to me) options those being advanced key, carbon interior and sports diff/exhaust.

Over all it'll save me money per month, cheaper fuel, insurance and performance not much slower.

The answer however would have to be no, why? well, when you are used to RS badged Audi's i feel this S model just missed the mark in making the journey that little bit special. It's a VERY capable car just didn't give me the wow/grin factor I've felt when previously driven/ordered my RS models.

Dont get me wrong to directly compare some would say is silly as it's designed to bridge the gap between S-Line and RS which it of course does very well BUT didn't give me that little bit of childish excitement that would make me put pen to paper and sign off a factor order.

Great car, well built, goes well, handles very very well but just felt missing the extra excitement i look for.

Pretty much summed up how I felt after driving / looking at one.......

And that stick on iPad screen

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

The answer however would have to be no,  why? well, when you are used to RS badged Audi's i feel this S model just missed the mark in making the journey that little bit special.  It's a VERY capable car just didn't give me the wow/grin factor I've felt when previously driven/ordered my RS models.

Exactly how I felt after living with the S5 for the week.

Audi Addict

Audi Addict

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Steve totally understand your summary, RS stays in the blood. However i absolutely agree with you the S4 is a very nice car. I was tempted to purchase one in Poole Audi last year before little man arrived however due to priority changes i have to hold off!

So Steve whats it going to be? Range Rover Velar? Porsche Panamera turbo? RS6? RS7? SQ7?  As the leader of the pack / forum i am really interested as your choice seems to have been spot on in the past. 

Saving for an RS6😎

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Steve totally understand your summary, RS stays in the blood. However i absolutely agree with you the S4 is a very nice car. I was tempted to purchase one in Poole Audi last year before little man arrived however due to priority changes i have to hold off!

So Steve whats it going to be? Range Rover Velar? Porsche Panamera turbo? RS6? RS7? SQ7?  As the leader of the pack / forum i am really interested as your choice seems to have been spot on in the past. 

The ideal would be the RS5 however when you spec it to 80k its a hard pill to swallow knowing how much you are going to lose, RS6 maybe if the right one at the right spec comes about however the facelift RS3 could tick a lot of boxes and come well under budget.   I'm currently looking at a few test drives of SQ7 etc to see how they stack up and if i'd be happy. 

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Steve 

you could join the elite and try a S7 !

V8, and fast as you need "perfect"  ! :D

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Steve 

you could join the elite and try a S7 !

V8, and fast as you need "perfect"  ! :D

If that was true they wouldn't make the RS7  :P

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

If that was true they wouldn't make the RS7 :P

F*** now you've gone and done it.....

Shouldn't poke the bear with sticks

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

No need for that Cox ! 

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

F*** now you've gone and done it.....

Shouldn't poke the bear with sticks

No need for that Cox ! 

Now we are talking!

Attached File  fa66c0854557c5df68e678b3c171bd45.jpg   73.26K   8 downloads

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

what a lovely shape car , must be  on its way to get its top coat !

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

what a lovely shape car , must be on its way to get its top coat !

And those orange marker lights removed

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.