106 replies to this topic

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland
Random question - is the MSS kit for the RS3 bespoke in some way, like custom spring rates, or is there just an 'MQB' kit?

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

The RS3 kit is bespoke kit in comparison to the 2ltr range due to the weight of our lump. It was originally the intent to have a MQB suspension platform obviously to save £1000's in R&D however shortly into the testing we realised this was not possible with our model. In my opinion H&R may of developed the kit on a S3 MQB style solution, hence why so many have had issues with them. 

You could goto the extent of saying each setup is bespoke also with sports and track front springs and LS, Track, Sports on the rears which are interchangeable. For those who want even more William has catered for this in the past hence why the LS kit is available. One of his American TT customers required something even stiffer for his track set up so William designed the LS to great effect. If there was a specific application a customer was looking for William would no doubt cater for these requirements. However after living with all the kits for a long time I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with whats already on the Market!

How do you use the car deepspacemillar just road use or occasionally hit the track?

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Breitling aren't British...

They are not British but you get where I'm coming from surely. I suppose a better analogy would of been Bremont watches which coincidentally I do also own one.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

H&R have different springs for the RS3 compared to other MQB. I think it's the rear springs that have a different spec IIRC.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

The RS3 kit is bespoke kit in comparison to the 2ltr range due to the weight of our lump. It was originally the intent to have a MQB suspension platform obviously to save £1000's in R&D however shortly into the testing we realised this was not possible with our model. In my opinion H&R may of developed the kit on a S3 MQB style solution, hence why so many have had issues with them. 

You could goto the extent of saying each setup is bespoke also with sports and track front springs and LS, Track, Sports on the rears which are interchangeable. For those who want even more William has catered for this in the past hence why the LS kit is available. One of his American TT customers required something even stiffer for his track set up so William designed the LS to great effect. If there was a specific application a customer was looking for William would no doubt cater for these requirements. However after living with all the kits for a long time I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with whats already on the Market!

How do you use the car deepspacemillar just road use or occasionally hit the track?

For me, it's almost entirely road use. I may or may not get a couple of track days in a year.
All I really want is essentially OEM+. The suspension in the RS3 is fine, at least for road use, but it could obviously be improved.
I'm not fussed on lowering the car (at least, not by much) and most coilovers or aftermarket springs seem rabidly intent on that at the expense of ride comfort and quality.
Everything I've read about the MSS stuff seems to be completely in line with what I want - dial out the understeer/improve handling, improve ride comfort and stability, allow for very subtle lowering of the car and generally make the suspension better without a compromise.

The MSS stuff definitely seems to fill that.

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

For me, it's almost entirely road use. I may or may not get a couple of track days in a year.
All I really want is essentially OEM+. The suspension in the RS3 is fine, at least for road use, but it could obviously be improved.
I'm not fussed on lowering the car (at least, not by much) and most coilovers or aftermarket springs seem rabidly intent on that at the expense of ride comfort and quality.
Everything I've read about the MSS stuff seems to be completely in line with what I want - dial out the understeer/improve handling, improve ride comfort and stability, allow for very subtle lowering of the car and generally make the suspension better without a compromise.

The MSS stuff definitely seems to fill that.

For you I would recommend going for the sports kit which is currently the best selling version. Race driver and MSS reseller Tom Wrigley has had this set up on for around a year now he like the kit that much he's now selling them on his performance parts store.  If your main focus is improving the handling and comfort this is the kit for you, it's also possible to retain OEM ride height if you wish, all the way down to a 30mm drop. If your interested in speaking to some one about a set up let me know il DM you some details over hopefully saving you a few quid.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Yes, I'm genuinely interested - if you could send that on I'd really appreciate it!

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
Sent

Caney

Caney

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire
Would this kit be able to allow a 20mm or so drop allround but with a similar spring rate to oem ones? I have the h&r springs on mine and they are really hard even in comfort mode!
2018 NARDO RS3 SPORTBACK MRC STAGE 2 520PS/705NM0-60 3.19 SECS/0-100 7.06 SECS

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Would this kit be able to allow a 20mm or so drop allround but with a similar spring rate to oem ones? I have the h&r springs on mine and they are really hard even in comfort mode!

Some guys have been re-calibrating the mag ride and finding it improves the ride quality with lowered springs. I think Dan has recently had this done with his car (which is running H&R springs) and says its better.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I was going to get the MSS springs but the calibration has made the car night and day different. So much so that I won't be going for the springs and sticking with the H&Rs.

Only if I need to adjust the height will I change them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

The ride is much nicer with the MSS kit comfort is a real pleasant place to be due making the dampness do the work. The OEM spring rate is very stiff if I can remember correctly 315lbs, you'll find the MSS ride a transformation from your H&R set up.

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Can anyone elaborate on the track pack vs the sport version?
The track pack is a bit stiffer and more focused but I wonder what the end effect is compared to stock?

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Sport is pretty firm and I assume track is firmer. If you are mostly road driving go with sport imho.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

I have the sport pack and trust bme it is a million times better than OEM or H&R, ride is so compliant 

and corners it just get sround so much smoother and flatter ( I am not a race driver so please excuse the terms)

I know William as I had one of the first sets on my TTS and was one of the first mods on the RS, only waited as I 

was as was everyone on the delivery from his suppliers.  If there is some one near go out in theirs and feel the difference

you will be pleasently surprised.

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
Sorry about the late reply..

I had the track pack on the car for around 4 months I was really impressed with it it’s totally fine for a daily drive.

You will find he trackpack is a lovely balance between both the rides firm in dynamic and soft in comfort the ideal medium for all variety of driving.

It’s really surprising how nice comfort is you really fell the dampeners at work rather than the solid OEM setup which seems cancels them out, both modes feeling quiet similar.

Trackpack has been the most popular with 8v owners giving you the best of both worlds improved comfort to OEM and a really balanced in the corners without the feeling of understeer taking over..

The pictures below are me on track front and rear running stock map, once I went upto stage 2 I wanted more firmness to support the extra power I was running.

Who ever bought my car has got a really nice setup track front LS rear with 440hp delivered really nicely from MRC.

I am now going through the development of the TTRS kit this handles even better than the 8v due to being slightly lighter and weight ratio being more evenly distributed.

Quiet exciting times for me as Forge are developing an IC, intake and recirculation valve for my TT.

Scorpion exhaust development is booked in for February can’t wait to hear the car with a downpipe fitted.

I still have months of work still to do with MSS trying different variations to be able to offer all the variety you can choose from with other models.

I should be good for 570hp at stage 2+ by the time nice weather returns to the U.K. next year a fun year to come!

Attached Images

• 507E02BB-C268-43E8-9934-58DEAC2492A5.jpeg
  • 7BF74EFC-C8D5-406B-A001-924B795A264A.jpeg
  • 24789D21-7182-45D5-A9CF-7BD4D0837F2B.jpeg
  • 5B673325-64BD-4FE9-AC27-04CB214D5841.jpeg
  • EA45D51D-BFD5-422D-950E-99EDA619706B.jpeg

Nath

Nath

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I had the Sport kit installed yesterday - so suspect the springs still have some time to settle a little more. 

I have only driven from the mechanic and to work in this time but very impressed with the ride comfort.. It passed the wife test - she was none the wiser when i dropped her to work this morning :)

Will be hitting the hills this w/e to really give them a proper test

MSS_springs.jpg

Edited by Nath, 30 October 2017 - 01:21 AM.

Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 3+ 
TomCat TC600 hybrid | E-Tuners Motorsport E85 ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | HG Motorsport Downpipe | Milltek Decats | HG Motorsport intake | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart Em Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Rays Forged ZE40's 1/4: 11.00 & 136MPH

Jonnyrs3

Jonnyrs3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
Received my Mss kit yesterday! Any recommendations for a good fitter local ish to Norfolk..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Alex @ AKS tuning, he has fitted quite a few sets

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

I had the Sport kit installed yesterday - so suspect the springs still have some time to settle a little more. 

I have only driven from the mechanic and to work in this time but very impressed with the ride comfort.. It passed the wife test - she was none the wiser when i dropped her to work this morning :)

Will be hitting the hills this w/e to really give them a proper test

MSS_springs.jpg

Tell us more of your experiences so far and some new settled pictures!

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.