Photo

Why Nardo? origins of this much debated colour choice..

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Oldmanracing

Oldmanracing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Hi all
I have a Nardo Grey (battleship/primer/unfinished) 8V which I chose, as I like it...a lot,

However, the question for this thread is NOT about why people have chosen it, nor is it any justification for chosing such a 'Marmite' colour option,
It is the route of much of the banter of a lot of threads .... and has proved that there is quite a split on the likes and dislikes of this particular colour choice.......

I was recently viewing stuff on YouTube of the early Audi Quattro group B cars from the mid 80's.
the ones that started it all! the 5 pot, Quattro drive, Stig blomquist , etc etc

and found to my surprise that the factory paint job from the works cars has some Nardo grey in the colour scheme....

is it just me that's slow to realise this or is this something you fellow Audi enthusiasts have noticed as well?

just an observation really.....and some ammunition for us Nardo lovers to the Nardo haters out there.... that we have the heritage colour from the glory days of Group B ....
am sure a bright spark in the RS marketing department must have picked up on this and made them offer it on the Halo RS cars ....

too much of a coincidence???

thoughts please.....

and some evidence below...[attachment=7332:IMG_0249.JPG][attachment=7332:IMG_0249.JPG]

Edited by Oldmanracing, 17 April 2017 - 05:52 PM.

RS Steve

RS Steve

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

I like it & it was one of my "must have'' colours when I was searching. Ended up with white but only due to the options it had.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
RS only colour of course, why would anyone choose anything else?!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

R55ENS

R55ENS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationNorthern

TX.

Because Nardo is boring! RS cars should stand out and not blend in!

RS3 8v - Exclusive Solar Orange :orange:

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Less chance of being noticed by mr d**khead thieving scumbag looking for his next target.

dbm

dbm

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRed Rose County
Garage View Garage
I dunno. The grey-ish colour in Audi livery looks pretty mushroom-y to me, where as Nardo is very much a grey.

Had the pleasure of seeing this one in the metal a few years back:
e9babdfd333505963d22662101712157_zpsu1uk

RS3 8V | RS3 8P

kalexan

kalexan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

TX.

I'm pretty sure Catalunya Red is the more RS only colour you could pick, not even an exclusive option on other models until the Mk2 R8 arrived. Nardo is everywhere these days, Skoda, Ford, Mini, etc. if it was more exclusive I'd consider, but for it to be the only cost free option paint wise... and detailers highlighting it was a very soft paint I decided to steer clear.

The original popular Ur Quattro colours were Red, Black and White (maybe they were the only colours available at the time?

Then again, Nardo with Black Pack and Black 255's is the bomb in terms of looks.

On a different note, is it true that Audi have dropped Sepang Blue from the new RS Car ranges, anyone know why? Seems an odd choice, or is it to stop people picking it over the more expensive Ara Blue option? ... always a cynic when it comes to Audi marketing.

Edited by kalexan, 12 April 2017 - 06:52 PM.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
Yeah nasty ;)f710b6a6249c083a2b6b54c505903cab.jpg

Nardo RS4

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Yeah nasty ;)f710b6a6249c083a2b6b54c505903cab.jpg

Proper RS colour that....

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Maybe its what they called it - Nardo.

Associating the colour with such a famous high speed track seems out of kilter.

For those who really know their racing circuits, this "grey" colour should be called "Knockhill" hahahahahaha

(I suppose that's an in joke but since I literally just thought it up I'm pretty pleased with it)

kalexan

kalexan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Maybe its what they called it - Nardo.

Associating the colour with such a famous high speed track seems out of kilter.

For those who really know their racing circuits, this "grey" colour should be called "Knockhill" hahahahahaha

(I suppose that's an in joke but since I literally just thought it up I'm pretty pleased with it)

I reckon Three Sisters fits the bill better ;)

kalexan

kalexan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Original Audi scheme indeed, even the Original Rally cars in the 80's ran similar schemes (and sometimes far more yellow)... well spotted.

To be fair the first Nardo car I saw was an S3, it was a custom paint car and it reminded me for some reason of being originally a Porsche colour? Like Riviera Blue... so Nardo might actually have more to do with Audi heritage than people think?

Though Floret has more in common and can be linked to the old Auto Union racers to the Le Mans cars of today.

First RS3 I saw was in Nardo (at Le Mans too) and it looked awesome... even next to a Matt Daytona R8, its also one of the pulls which made me buy one in the first place.

Edited by kalexan, 12 April 2017 - 07:24 PM.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

I'm not saying a word !

Spackman

Spackman

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I respect people for choosing it but it just looks so dull and does nothing to flatter the lines of the car, really don't see the appeal myself

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMiddle England.

I respect people for choosing it but it just looks so dull and does nothing to flatter the lines of the car, really don't see the appeal myself

Its the sexiest colour by a mile.

Current cars: Audi RS3 8V and BMW M235i convertible.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

If your Stevie Wonder , Ray Charles, Lenny Peters, David Blunkett   then maybe so !     :)

mdelgado

mdelgado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Love nardo too. Its not a look at me colour... rather can be menacing without being pretencious.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
I get a lot of positive comments tbf and then there is Roy ;)

TX.

Nardo RS4

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK

On a different note, is it true that Audi have dropped Sepang Blue from the new RS Car ranges, anyone know why? Seems an odd choice, or is it to stop people picking it over the more expensive Ara Blue option? ... always a cynic when it comes to Audi marketing.

I spotted this. On the new Sportback version on the Audi UK Configurator Sepang Blue is not an option. Also there does not appear to be the option to select a colour from the Audi range, or, select an exclusive colour from anywhere either! :(

Chris.

Current: Audi RS3 Sportback, Sepang Blue Pearl, Black Seats (Rock Grey Stitching), Dash, Carpet, and Headliner. Comfort & Sound Package. Folding Door Mirrors. Dynamic Package. Lumber Support. Hold Assist. Non-smoking Package. Reversing Camera. Technology Package + Mobile Phone High + Audi Connect. Interior Protection Package. Paint Protection Package.

Previous: Audi A5 S-line Cabriolet, 2.0TFSi, Quartz Grey

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK

I have found a price list on Audi UK.

There is an Audi Exclusive Paint option. It costs £2,400, but does not list Sepang Blue. Exclusive colours available are:

Viper Green

Solar Orange

Nogaro Blue

Classic Red

Palace Blue

Gomera Green

Aventurine Orange

Velvet Purple

Dark Red

Chris.

Current: Audi RS3 Sportback, Sepang Blue Pearl, Black Seats (Rock Grey Stitching), Dash, Carpet, and Headliner. Comfort & Sound Package. Folding Door Mirrors. Dynamic Package. Lumber Support. Hold Assist. Non-smoking Package. Reversing Camera. Technology Package + Mobile Phone High + Audi Connect. Interior Protection Package. Paint Protection Package.

Previous: Audi A5 S-line Cabriolet, 2.0TFSi, Quartz Grey

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.