Photo

RS 3 Saloon to be the last Audi 5 Cylinder Car?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Foxtrot_Oscar

Foxtrot_Oscar

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNorth East

There is a rumour floating around on a German TT forum regarding the engine issues with the TT RS and the upcoming RS 3 saloon.

First of all this is a rumour and I am not sure I believe it entirely, but there are some interesting coincidences and circumstantial evidence. Do not shoot the messenger!

All Audi 5 cylinder products are to be removed from sale as new product from the end of the year. This includes the TTRS which we know about already and the RS Q3 (http://www.uk.audi.c...s/q3/rs-q3.html) which is no longer available to order, only pre-built units available from stock as per the TT RS.

The rumour goes on to state that a 'fixed' 5pot would be back in production and to order by BW24 (June 2017) which happens to fit with the RS 3 Saloon timescales published so far by Audi (coming late 2017). No word if the TTRS will ever be available to order at that point. Rumour also suggests that given the current problems already faced by the new 400PS 5-pot that it will be the last one ever produced as the struggle to continue meeting strict EU directives is too much these days.

I hope it is all rubbish, but you have to admit there are some coincidences within the rumour. Let's hope it is not true. :(

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
Seems a bit strange that Audi would stop production of the 5-cylinder for EU directives, given that these directives are for overall manufactured output? So the E-Trons and 3-cylinder jobs would counteract this.

I read recently that Mercedes will go back to straight-sixes soon, maybe with some hybrid tech. They have also just released the 4.0 V8 AMG 63 E-Class with 600bhp...

And Porsche don't seem to be in too much trouble getting 350bhp from a 2.5 flat-four...

I know also in the other thread there was something about the refrigerant? Is the 5-cylinder really the only engine that uses this refrigerant?

I think there is a lot more to the story than these rumours are suggesting.

Just glad I have mine LoL

:blue: ​    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Without knowing any of the above beforehand, I was chatting to my Audi dealer earlier this week (a UK Audi RS Brand centre) about an invite I had received to test drive the new TTRS (not many around in the UK).

I was told that I may not get to drive the car now as the few that are 'available' are being sold very quickly. He then went on to say that it looks as if the TTRS may have a 're-launch' sometime later next year.

Very odd.......and no real answer as to why

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

peazz

peazz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Maybe they faced issues with the new engines development and thought it would be cheaper to start again than fix it? Who knows!

Previous Cars; M135i, F80 M3, 65 Sepang RS3, 15 Catalunya Red RS3 with all the trimmings
Current: Stage 4 Litchfield GTR 650hp/602ftlbs

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.