- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Pete62

Pete62

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just had front brakes and discs replaced at local Audi dealer. Brakes have always been noisy and 'wooden' since I bought the car.
I know I've only driven a few miles but new ones are so much better, feel much more powerful and not noisy at all ,very pleased.
Hope it continues!

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
How much warranty have you renaming?
The brakes will degrade again if you continue running the standard Audi OEM pads..
My advice whilst the discs are nice and fresh would be to drop some EBC red stiff pads in there

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

After my travails with shock absorbers I am pleased to report that my new OEM discs and red stuff pads were fitted yesterday and - so far - behaving perfectly. The difference is amazing. Also fitted the 034 dogbone insert which is making my gearchanges really nice and noticeably smoother. Additionally (it's probably my imagination) the front end seems better planted, even with my worn out shockers!.

To summarize - the original discs lasted 21.5k and were replaced (for the usual reason) under warranty. The second set have lasted 20.5k miles and were pretty shot by the time of replacement. Plenty of meat, but just rubbish braking. We shall see how the third set go.

Looking at the haldex issues also, is there any point in putting up a sticky thread with user recommended service/replace points?

For instance as I've mentioned before the haldex issue could be resolved with a simple filter/oil change at the right time, instead of having to invest in a new pump.

Brakes as above, Shocks to choice but my originals gave the car 40k-ish. (I screwed as much life as I could out of them before winter!)

Plug coils too, seeing as how that's been raised recently.

Just a thought.

And if it has already been done, point me to it so I can add my tuppence worth.

Pete62

Pete62

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

How much warranty have you renaming?
The brakes will degrade again if you continue running the standard Audi OEM pads..
My advice whilst the discs are nice and fresh would be to drop some EBC red stiff pads in there

Just renewed the warranty for another year which is why I had it done at a dealer. So long as I keep the warranty I'm just going to have to stay standard.
Out of interest what kind of money does front discs and pads usually cost fitted using OEM bits
Regards
Pete

ScottB

ScottB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationGlasgow
I'm taking the plunge next month for AP racing discs and going for the ferodo ds2500 pads again as they have been really good.
£925 for discs and bells and £225 for pads.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Red14, I think starting another thread to gather info from all owners regarding Haldex failure details etc would be good. Can then think about change frequencies, how to's etc.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Just renewed the warranty for another year which is why I had it done at a dealer. So long as I keep the warranty I'm just going to have to stay standard.
Out of interest what kind of money does front discs and pads usually cost fitted using OEM bits
Regards
Pete

If only you knew the difference it'll make to your braking.. It'd only effects the warranty of the brakes but then, you wouldn't have any issues once upgrading so wouldn't require the warranty.
Personal choice end of the day

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

I'm taking the plunge next month for AP racing discs and going for the ferodo ds2500 pads again as they have been really good.
£925 for discs and bells and £225 for pads.

That's a decent price, where is that from? I've had good experience before using the DS2500

So new after market discs with ensure both sides are directional which is great.
One thing that no one has ever really addressed properly and shared is regarding the cooling. I put up something on another thread showing how the front right (offside) has no functioning naca cooling duct. So this coupled with the discs vanes being the wrong way would most definetly explain why pads wear at different rates.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

That's a decent price, where is that from? I've had good experience before using the DS2500

So new after market discs with ensure both sides are directional which is great.
One thing that no one has ever really addressed properly and shared is regarding the cooling. I put up something on another thread showing how the front right (offside) has no functioning naca cooling duct. So this coupled with the discs vanes being the wrong way would most definetly explain why pads wear at different rates.

Robinsky is running the Alcon discs with DS2500 pads and he really likes them.

The Alcon discs are available at £850 from VHub

Robinsky

Robinsky

Evo Triangle Guru

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Yes I can confirm what T-800 has said...I always thought that the oem brakes would never really stop the car when moving on....the Alcon discs and Ds2500's give you a bite that I never had even with warranty replaced discs. Best thing I very did. I also agreed that the dogbone mod is a no brainer... really smooth gear changes all the time. Brilliant.

Pete62

Pete62

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If only you knew the difference it'll make to your braking.. It'd only effects the warranty of the brakes but then, you wouldn't have any issues once upgrading so wouldn't require the warranty.

Hey, I'm just enjoy some decent retardation and not sounding like the discs are full of pebbles. One step at a time!

ScottB

ScottB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Place in Aberdeen called North East Brakes, recommended to me by my mechanic.
I'll be getting them fitted by him though as its a bit out my way being near Glasgow

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Got my discs at the "old" price around £350 (I think - check the forum cos I forget) and pads from the yoo ess ayy (Summit Racing) USD 183 as at August. Fitting around £100 (including messing about with the wrong shocks, fitting dogbone etc.) so a total of just under £600 would be about right I think.

Pete62

Pete62

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well for what it's worth at an Audi dealer it's just shy of £1200!
Thankfully I didn't have to pay that but that's the invoice price.

Pete62

Pete62

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

How much are the red stuff pads and where from? Are they a straight drop in without modification? And would it be feasible just to swap pads over when ever it went in for service or warranty work?

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Red Stuff - Summit Racing Equipment, USA

EBC-DP32070C
Disc Brake Pad
(Mfr. #: DP32070C)

Always on back order,

Price was USD 118.03, add shipping USD 65.37, Total USD 183.40

(This was in August 2016.)

Straight drop in, may need to delete wear sensor(s)

Although you need to go to the US for these, you can get the Red Stuff for the rears here in the UK, why not do both?

No Brainer really.

EBC-DP32070C
Disc Brake Pad
(Mfr. #: DP32070C)

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

How much are the red stuff pads and where from? Are they a straight drop in without modification? And would it be feasible just to swap pads over when ever it went in for service or warranty work?

As already mentioned, it would only potentially effect warranty on the brakes, that's not for certain and if you're worried, swapping them back over is so straight forward. My car has been in for service and warranty work without an issue albeit not on brakes.

As Red14 posted if you want to retain the wear sensors you'll need to source from the USA which many have done. Personally I use uk ones and have coded out the wear sensor using VCDS (you can just mod the sensor wiring to give same effect , don't worry it's the bit you have to renew when you put new pads in so not permanent)
Then just keep an eye on the pads and you'll be fine, can't see the point in paying the extra at all as I think if you've hit the wear sensor you should have already renewed them imo.
U.K. Part number is DP31210C

Edited by Mattjj82, 12 November 2016 - 06:38 PM.

Antsa79

Antsa79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will Revo 8v upgrade brake disc fit to 8p or can somebody measure 8v disc offset will it fit to 8p?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Will Revo 8v upgrade brake disc fit to 8p or can somebody measure 8v disc offset will it fit to 8p?

I've spoken to Graham.....

These are for the 8V he's not 100% sure if the 8P is the exact same offset......

Although i do remember seeing a picture somewhere of a MK1 RS3 with the wavy MK2 discs on it.......

I cannot see there being to much difference in offset from MK1 to MK2......

Edited by T-800, 15 November 2016 - 02:02 PM.

Antsa79

Antsa79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just send email to Revo

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.