Photo

This is circulating around VAG dealers...

72 replies to this topic

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Regarding Tuning boxes......

f31f612d2451e95d2750b4cfaea866c9.jpg

peazz

peazz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Notice how is says 'suspected' .... I 'suspect' this means they cannot prove it.

Previous Cars; M135i, F80 M3, 65 Sepang RS3, 15 Catalunya Red RS3 with all the trimmings
Current: Stage 4 Litchfield GTR 650hp/602ftlbs

peazz

peazz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Also wonder how this would work if we didnt update the car? I mean, surely the ECU will need to be updated for it to have 'detection capabilities' ?

Previous Cars; M135i, F80 M3, 65 Sepang RS3, 15 Catalunya Red RS3 with all the trimmings
Current: Stage 4 Litchfield GTR 650hp/602ftlbs

monopole

monopole

quattrophenia

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationLimbo
I suspect, if this is the case, VAG may have written software that will only detect a tuning box that has been fitted over a prolonged period of time, by comparing sustained ecu demands over output. But , like myself, the box has been fitted from only 350m on the clock, so comparing before and after data, I imagine, is going to be difficult (???). After all, they did managed to write software to detect when emission testing.... 😁 so who knows.

People have been saying this about tuning boxes from the beginning, so perhaps VAG have been listening and now looking...

MY16 Glutorange RS3 - how the hell did you not see me coming!

"always do what you always did and you'll always get what you always got"

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to see these flags in VCDS at all?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I think they would be only logged on the dealer system when the car is connected up and interrogated.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Ahh... gotcha.  I thought it was also an internal flag logged. 

What you say would make sense tbh..... shame.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Perhaps a stupid question, but are you aware whether that pic has come from a trusted source..... or has some hater got some spare time on his hands and wanged something up on social networking sites (I'm not referring to you here) to get some of us sweating. Ha

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
It's been posted on another forum.....

TD1, TG1, TE1 and TB1 Flags

Edit: This document has not been confirmed to be legitimate yet so just a heads up.

I have seen someone circulating this today and only half the page for obvious reason so I though I would make everyone aware of changes that have occurred in terms of tuning and piggy back at dealer level.

In essence nothing has really changed, the codes are still the same. The factory has made it easier on a dealer level to see cars that should be flagged. On the piggy back side there is flag called a TB1 that they have as - Suspected Tuning with tuning box.

From the time we did the JB1 development we where aware that the easiest way to detect a box is by having short term fuel trim trigger points. This was confirmed by the sources that may be. Our unit avoids using ECU adaption of fuel trims due to rail pressure hence no issues have ever arisen. What is strange is that the unit they have pictured has been tested as well with no flag coming up neither.

In terms of flash tunes it seems that the hardware version of the control unit changes from H to X. We had a look at a couple of flashed cars and they still show H so not sure if this was even implemented.

https://r.tapatalk.c...hare_pid=238170

monopole

monopole

quattrophenia

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationLimbo

MTM M-Cantronic, quite possibly safe then..? As both my sales guy and the master tech know full well my car has the MTM kit fitted, I may well have a chat with him first then pop in one day for a diagnostic scan (MTM removed of course).

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

To be fair it's nothing new in respect of the logged history, and the logical ability to be able to deduce that something "may" have been fiddled with.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

MTM M-Cantronic, quite possibly safe then..? As both my sales guy and the master tech know full well my car has the MTM kit fitted, I may well have a chat with him first then pop in one day for a diagnostic scan (MTM removed of course).

Would be interesting to hear how you get on. :)

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

Nope, this was discussed at the meet on the weekend ,we have a member who is a VAG technician and he told us that they can now detect whether MTM or other tuning boxes have been used.

monopole

monopole

quattrophenia

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationLimbo

... well, time to test that water, see how stinky it really is... am I worried, not at all. I knew the risks from the very first car I "mapped". 

I'll contact him tomorrow and make the arrangements.

monopole

monopole

quattrophenia

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationLimbo

.. just emailed my sales guy.. grab ya pop corn and wait out :D

Yeoy

Yeoy

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationDown South
Can't wait.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

******* hell TB1 codes now!

TX.

Nardo RS4

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Caveat emptor - it would be interesting to know if there are any statistics showing engine issues on mapped cars v standard

nervus

nervus

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationOop Norf

Scare mongering....

monopole

monopole

quattrophenia

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • LocationLimbo
Haven't got my car booked in yet, but this from my dealer...

FYI, he has mentioned that the Audi systems can now detect if a tuning box has been fitted, where as before they were invisible to our systems.

Any other queries please give me a shout.

Kind regards"

When he refers to "he", he means their master tech.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.